Ophthalmology VA Medical Center job located in New York
- Excellent Work Life Balance
- Federal Benefits
- 54 Paid days off annually
Ophthalmology opportunity at the Syracuse VA Medical Center (Academic Affiliate SUNY)
The Syracuse VA Medical Center is seeking to add a full time, fellowship trained Ophthalmologist, specializing in glaucoma treatment, to join our Surgical Team; (board certified or board eligible, written boards exam passed as governed by the ABO). This position includes opportunities to participate in Clinical Research and will be working with SUNY School of Medicine Residents and Medical Students providing education in the principles and therapy of complex ophthalmology surgeries and services. You will contribute to staffing resident clinics in comprehensive ophthalmology under the guidance of the Section Chief and in collaboration with other comprehensive and sub-specialist providers in an academically-driven clinical setting.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Provide pre-operative and post-operative ophthalmology services including hospital rounds for surgical patients; perform and supervise ophthalmic surgery including laser procedures and occasional injection procedures in both the OR and in the eye clinic; be highly self-proficient in the surgical setting for fundamental surgical procedures including cataract surgery, anterior vitrectomy, and additional anterior segment surgeries
- Conduct regular weekly outpatient clinics in comprehensive ophthalmology in a busy clinical setting with high ocular pathology and systemic co-morbidities
- Work collaboratively with multiple ophthalmology sub-specialist providers
- Alternate on-call coverage with other VAMC staff ophthalmology surgeons
- Generate referrals to sub-specialty care in the coordination of clinical and surgical care
Interested or know someone that may be interested?
Contact: (Login for Information)
Nicknamed “The Cuse,” Syracuse is the education and economic hub of the central New York region. Students can attend the University of Syracuse along with many other college campuses and professional schools, and residents have access to 26 neighborhoods and a Destiny USA regional shopping mall. Also, in the community are 150 parks, two hospitals and two large summer jazz festivals. Located in the center of New York State, Onondaga County is home to the City of Syracuse. We are within 350 miles of all major cities in the northeast, conveniently situated at the intersection of Interstate 81 and the NYS Thruway. Local Amtrak and Greyhound terminals are located at our Regional Transportation Center. Arriving by air brings you into our modern Hancock International Airport, while the NYS Barge Canal System provides local connection by boat to the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway.
Working for the Department of Veteran Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- 49 days paid time off annually including; 26 days paid vacation, 13 days of sick leave, 10 paid holidays and 5 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses (subject to budget availability)
- on average federal government pays 75% of your premium on your health care insurance
- possible annual performance bonus of 7.5% up to a max $15,000 annually
- VA contributes 9.6% of your salary toward federal retirement
- No malpractice insurance as you are covered by the federal tort law
- up to 5% matching funds on your 401(k)
Health and Retirement: (Login for Information)
About the VA
(Login for Information) offers Veterans the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the United States. We operate more than 1,400 sites of care, including 153 medical centers, 909 ambulatory and community-based outpatient clinics, 135 nursing homes, 232 Veterans centers, 47 readjustment counseling centers, and 108 comprehensive home-care programs, across all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. Territories.
If interested in learning more information about this position please email an updated CV to: